Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Recipe - Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies

I do have a couple of backdated recipes but these earl grey cookies that I just made this morning deserved to be shared immediately. I love earl grey tea for that faint citrus taste and would always order Earl Grey Milk Tea from Gongcha (which I have not had for a long time. Good for me!) I cannot help but keep smelling my hands after touching the cookie dough


I first saw the recipe from Forget Those Calories but after more search online (some of the blogs are so inspiring!!!) I found Life is 2 Munch.The latter uses a recipe from Martha Steward's book and I have seen many other food bloggers using the same. It is actually just the additional of orange zest. I read a couple of blog that suggest omitting it and was really stuck between them. In the end I added about half a tablespoon of orange zest which I felt didn't cover up the taste of the tea... Maybe next time I will do away with it because grating the orange zest is such a chore!

Ingredients (makes 60 cookies)
250g plain flour
2 tablespoons Earl Grey tea leaves (I used 4 bags)
1/2 teaspoons salt
227g unsalted butter, room temperature
62.5g icing sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest

I used Twining's tea leaves



1. Whisk together flour, tea, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.


2. Using a electric mixer, whisk butter till soften and sift in icing sugar. Add orange zest and mix till pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined.




3. Put cookie dough into a cling wrap and wrap nicely to be refrigerated for at least an hour.

4. Preheat oven at 190. Mould cookie into any desired shapes and place on baking tray.  

5. Bake until edges turn golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
 


I had expected my mum to have a liking to this cookie and true enough, she says it is nice. I think it is because it is just a big difference from my usual cornflake cookies, sugar cookies or chocolate chips cookies.. I might consider adding another pack of tea bag and omit the orange for the next I bake this. 

Am currently looking at other earl grey dessert. Gonna try earl grey cupcake with lemon frosting and earl grey chocolate cake! I hope they don't get tired of this earl grey madness of mine. I LOVE EARL GREY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment